Break-up with my phone

12/29/2016

Aloha! 




Yes, it happened. We've started to argue hard in the week before Christmas. I was concrete in my arguments so finally he just unloaded his whole energy. Eventually, on last Thursday I was brutal enough to just put him into the drawer and close it. 

We generally had good relationship. He was the one to wake me up in the morning, he would always bring me some essential news about what was happening worldwide, but what I especially liked in him was that possibility he gave me to catch up with the events of my friends' lives. 

Snapchat, you see, has become quite rewarding way to announce quickly that the hard competition was won or get to know that the friend far away was being happy at the time. 

He also gave me great opportunity to follow what's happening here, on ALOHA as well as on my Google+ site which I've been considering recently as a great panel to discuss particular projects and topics. 

Besides above goodness I got, there were, however, some qualities I've just become so put off about. 
What's the general reason of our temporary break-up was the constant activity which he demanded from me. Like, I had to read and reply for the every message immediately, answered any necessary questions within an hour or took a photo of that or that event because, hey, it might never repeat in the future, right? 

Someone told me once, that it's impossible to quit the phone, because we're already addicted, not in this way which requires the medical and psychological treatment but because our closest people use it. And as far as they do it, they're going to push us into the same, since it's a lot of easier. They don't have the bad intentions in it, however - I'm aware they would like to cut down on their phones a little bit as well. 

But that's the world we live in, it's very hard right now to obey the mobile phones, for example while trying hard to reach the less popular destination in a huge town. We've got Google Maps, we're able to save the time to do it. You know, Night Owls (I consider it a very pleasant way to call readers here, leave a line what do you think about it) exactly what I'm talking it, it seems obvious. 

What I wanted to achieve in this post is actually to disagree a bit with the mentioned someone who presented me that quite logical theory. 

Actually, we really can control the boards to which we approximate ourselves in this whole mobile usage. 

We really don't have to check up the Facebook or Twitter notifications every hour, right?

It's really possible to turn off your mobile phone if you have got friends who just know you well enough to think you could have done it. 

I've been in this separation period with my own mobile phone and I really don't feel the real need to turn it on again. It's easier now, of course, because I have the laptop to work on and I'm at home having short winter holidays. Less things to organise, less potential talks to make on the phone eventually... 

However, probably very soon, I will open the drawer again, but what I would like you to consider is the real time we need - ? - spend on our phones. Maybe from month to month it's possible to break-up with it and get some little more freedom. Your mobile will be waiting for you to come back anyway. 

It really feels good. Perhaps, New Year is a good motivation to try this experience. 

As Oscar Wilde said so: Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterwards. 

Take care of yourselves, Night Owls (oh, just write to me whether it sounds attractive enough) 


GigiBax











You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I do like that Warhol style picture. Snapchat I've never done as I'm really not pretty enough, but information I could not live without. As I type I have two twitter feeds open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Simon, this reply is just epic for me. Everyone is "beautiful enough" for Snapchat! :) Thank you for you humor - it's so needed in this puzzled world we live in!

      Delete