The matter of perception with the Welsh accent

9/13/2016

Aloha!



The week has gone so fast, hasn't it? How was your start? I hope the everyday tempo hasn't got too crazy so far (and I deeply hope it won't throughout the working time never so).

...

I remember well the first meeting of my new class, as we approached the park centre, barely having any contacts shared. Imagine, one of my actual best friends, who got late a little bit there, haven't caught my attention at all. Now I feel I know most of her mimics and reactions, as she seemed so gray in the crowd now her uniqueness flows out around -  so you never know how big surprises people become. 

Next example, who actually inspired the whole post and even colour edit of the main photo is a very lovely Welsh man, Iwan Rheon. Do you know him? Like, do you recognise this probably most pathological character from the Game of Thrones series? Sweet Ramsay, yup.

There you go. Last Saturday Youtube suggested me what is the exact video I should run on (which is at the same helpful and scary, but about that situation in the another post). It was Rheon's debut album, Dinard, from 2015 I haven't come along so far. Late evening, so I didn't connect the name or an album cover to the actor (God only knows where my glasses were at the time) - I just lied down comfortably and turned the tunes. And... I... fell in love! Whoa!

It's been the perfect relax I needed at that evening, for the album is mainly constructed of the guitar background and soft leading voice (however, the Tongue Tied will blown your heart with energy!).From Saturday I've been listening to this show-business-modest piece of music and I can't stop but still relate the artist to the look he shows on the series. It's got better by now, but that's one of the most unfair things in the world of artists - the image sticked to them in your head for a long long time. Like, Frodo will always be Frodo and who would remember the real name of Daniel Radcliffe...? (don't ya worry, Daniel I do, you even did some plays, I know it as well)

And it led to the today's post reflections, the way we create perceptions about people, how unfair they may become. One point should be definitely highlighted - you want it or not, if you meet a new person your brain becomes an individual philosopher and very quickly creates the first impression of that human. Sometimes it can be true, but let's say - you don't know it yet. Are you agree with that action? Would you rather stop it?

I've observed we quite cannot do it. However, we decide what's happening next - what kind of quality of hearing we show while talking to the person, how much we do our bests to act with respect and kindness... or how much we get interested of the other actions the human takes which tell a lot about its identity and personality (I'm looking at you, you talented Iwan!)

If you start with everyone, the same normal way, which doesn't propel in the extremes you may get very nicely surprised! Yes! Isn't it fascinating experience? The discoveries? Live!?

I personally stick to the following the same way rules:

  • don't try to get to know the person before you really meet - opinions are very subjective source of information
  • stop focusing on the appearance details - I'm stressing the word details, as the style, face can tell you a lot about the human's character, but imperfectly shaped eyebrows - not really
  • don't ask too many personal questions, e.g. about family - if one will see in you a trustful listener, the one tells you by oneself 
  • if you like the talk, take the action - they say everyday life shows how we really are, so go cooking together, organise a trip or something if you feel you want this person around for the nearest future (and then, maybe longer) 

That's how I see it. I've been getting to know so many people in my life recently that I just had to think about it deeper way. The results of the above tips I might say are working positively - as I walk through the town, I see a lot of familiar faces who say or respond for hello - it really makes the days of everyday human being.

I encourage you to rethink this seemly banal topic again as you also meet a lot of the new people (who cares, even if you won't meet some of them the second time!), just notice the fact.

And, like during listening to the Rhodd song, which is in Welsh and I don't understand the verse, I'm saying: let's try focus on the main message, not the complicated words. I've read the very interesting article about language differences today and it seems every language creates a bit various image of the world.

Why don't we use the universal one, then? Having bigger chance to meet people - surprises, then?

Respect, help and smile. I guess we should deal with these three :)




GigiBax




You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Celtic languages are a real tricky thing to deal with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, indeed, but there are so beautiful! I hope to learn one at least a bit one day! Have you got any longer experience with them Regards xxx

      Delete